Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Lindsey's Amazing European Soup

I remember when I lived with Linds, back in the first few years she made this great soup from her mission... it was creamy and full of flavor! Two weeks ago when I had some friends come to Logan, I made this so we could have it for dinner and then left overs after snowshoeing. Everyone loved it, so I thought I'd place it here for you guys too!

1 Onion
1/2 c Butter
2 Stalks of Celery
2 Carrots (I used at least three)
1 1/2 c potatoes (about 2-3)
4 Leaks
(or substitute with 1-2 Yams)
7 c Water
2 Bay Leaves
1/2 t Thyme
Parsley
1 c of Cream (I have also used whole milk, which works just as good)

Cut up the onion and soften until clear in the butter (in the bottom of the pot you will be making your soup in). Add the other vegetables - after cutting them up and pealing them if needed (they can be bigger chunks).  Add the water, bay leaves, thyme, and parsley. Boil for 30 minutes, after which the vegetables should be soft. Remove bay leaves. Blend till pureed and return to pot. (Blending may take a good 3-4 rounds). Add the cream and rewarm. Be sure to season with salt and pepper. If there is not enough salt, it will NOT taste good! But this is the perfect soup on a cold day! This pairs nicely with Katie's recipe for Bread. I have a similar recipe which makes three loaves and is stored in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment