Friday, January 11, 2013

Curried Rice and Chickpea Salad


This has become a staple in my recipe library over the past year. It doesn't take a whole lot of effort to throw together and the flavor is great. I've taken it to a few potlucks and it always disappears pretty quickly. I got the recipe out of Robin Robertson's "Quick-Fix Vegan: Healthy, Homestyle Meals in 30 Minutes or Less" Cookbook.

1 ripe mango, cut into bit sized chunks
3 cups cooked rice (I used a wild rice blend here, but I like brown basmati too)
1½ cups home-cooked chickpeas or 1 can, rinsed
1 red bell pepper, cut into ¼-inch dice
¼ cup minced scallions
⅓ cup golden raisins (I used dried currents)
⅓ cup toasted peanuts (I used almonds)
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp mango juice
1 Tbsp rice vinegar
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper to taste

Combine mango, rice, chickpeas, bell pepper, scallions, raisins, peanuts and parsley or cilantro in large bowl.   Mix remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour dressing over salad and stir to combine.

No comments:

Post a Comment