Saturday, January 12, 2013

Microwave Caramel Corn

I think I have tried to convince Mom to make this every year for New Years since I was in high school. Well, actually I go back and forth between caramel corn and fudge. I try to get her to believe it is a tradition and we have to make it. In all reality, I think she only made both of them once or twice on New Years, each on different years. Regardless, I crave caramel popcorn every year around this time and this recipe helps with that need for instant gratification. This version came from Sherri Walton.

2-3 quarts popped popcorn (depending on how coated you want your popcorn)
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
In a bring butter, sugar, syrup, and salt to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from microwave and mix in baking soda. Put popcorn in a paper grocery sack and pour caramel over popcorn. Fold down top of grocery sack and shake. Place in microwave. Microwave on high for 90 seconds. Take sack out of microwave and shake to even coat the popcorn. Microwave for another 90 seconds. Take out and shake. Pour out on cookie sheet to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment