Monday, January 14, 2013

Funeral Potatoes

I know the stereotype of funeral potatoes, but despite that, I really love them. Potatoes, cheese and sour cream. Who wouldn't want that? So healthy. Sort of. Various versions of the recipe are all over the internet and in tons of cookbooks, but this is how I make it.

5-6 potatoes, washed and peeled
1 TBS butter
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 C cheddar cheese, shredded
1-2 teaspoons salt to taste

Boil potatoes. Let cool, then grate. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350. In a medium saucepan melt butter. Add onions and cook until softened. Add soup, sour cream, onion and salt and let warm once combined. Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese. Don't worry if cheese is not melted all the way. Stir mixture into the potatoes. Pour into a greased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. I think most people sprinkle corn flakes over the top with some butter, but since I don't usually have cornflakes on hand, I just sprinkle with cheese and bake it. Bake for 45 minutes.

1 comment: