Sunday, February 3, 2013

Lemon Ginger Yellow Split Pea Soup

I don't think I have ever had split pea soup and really liked it. Not that I think they are bad, they just weren't really good. Except this one. Seriously. I genuinely love this soup. Most of my meals have started to taste pretty similar lately, but this one is completely different. So good. And healthy. Yep. It's a keeper. I adapted it from The Tastespace.

1 tsp whole coriander seed, crushed, or 1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tbsp coconut oil (could use any cooking oil)
2-3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 onion, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
2-inch-long ginger root, peeled and grated (about 2 tbsp)
2 cups yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
6-8 cups water/vegetable stock

1 tsp bouillon (I was using water so this helped add a little depth)
2 tsp rosemary
2 bay leaf
1 tsp lemon zest
3-4 tbsp fresh lemon juice 


Toast coriander for about 1 minute over medium-high heat, until fragrant. Add oil. When hot, add carrots, garlic, onion and ginger. Reduce heat to medium and saute until vegetables are softened (about 5 minutes.) Add water, split peas, rosemary, bay leaves and bouillon. Season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for about an hour to two hours until peas are falling apart (my soup took about 90 minutes for the peas to cook.) Remove from heat and remove bay leaves. Stir in lemon zest and juice. Serve.

Also, here is a picture of the blanket I made for Emily. Mom asked me to post it here, so here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment