Saturday, June 1, 2013

Oatmeal Crispies

So earlier this week... I realized I still have about 4 cans of oatmeal that are almost out of date if not already in my food storage, and I decided I wanted to make oatmeal cookies because well why not? I knew I'd easily find a way to use them up as I had lots of visits this week... anyways...I remembered those ones mom used to roll and put in the freezer or fridge and going to snitch the dough... so I asked Dad about it, and mom found the recipe... It's a good basic, simple recipe, but I'd say next time I'll probably add some cinnamon if not that AND maybe some craisins... I ended up taking a bunch up to our movie night and some people REALLY liked them...

I do not remember it, but apparently mom and dad used this recipe a lot when they worked in the nursery.

(Makes about 5 dozen cookies)
  
1 C Shortening (we use butter)*
1 C Brown sugar
1 C  Granulated white sugar
2 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla
1 1/2 C Sifted flour
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Baking soda
3 C Quick oats
½ C Chopped nuts (optional)**

Cream shortening and sugars.
Add eggs and vanilla, beat well.
Sift dry ingredients and add to creamed mixture.
Add oats and nuts, mix well.
Shape in roll 2 inches in diameter and wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper and chill in refrigerator.
Slice into ¼ inch thick rounds.

Bake on cookie sheets at 350° for 8-10 minutes.

*Dad's notation that they used all butter, but I used half butter/shortening.
**I did not use nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment