Saturday, June 22, 2013

German Chocolate Cake Bars

A few weeks ago I got a text late on Saturday night asking if I'd teach RS Sunday morning. I did, and my RS president brought over a few of these bars as a thank you. They were so delicious! The original recipe comes from Six Sisters Stuff. I like them more cake-like because I think the density of brownies is too much for me sometimes. The great thing is, you can decide if you want these more like brownies or more cake-like depending on the type of cake mix you use. Cake mix with pudding in it makes it more like a brownie. Without the pudding and the bars are more like a cake. Either way, you should try these.

1 box devil’s food cake mix 
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 egg
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
1 cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work too)
1 cup shredded coconut 
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips (I used a broken up chocolate bar)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13 inch baking pan.
Melt butter in medium bowl. Add cake mix and egg and combine. Press mixture into the bottom greased pan. Bake 7 minutes and remove from the oven. (Crust won't look done.)
Combine sweetened condensed milk, vanilla, egg, pecans and coconut. Pour over the warm crust and sprinkle with chocolate chips. Bake for 24-30 minutes. The top should be almost a golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment