Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tart Cherry Galette


 Yes, that is my foot in that picture. With a beautiful tart cherry galette. So what? Maybe I am the worst at photography, but it doesn't change how good the food I make is.
 The family ward has an annual pie party which we went to yesterday. I made apple pie. I wasn't really thinking and I made extra pie dough thinking a double batch of this recipe would lead to a double pie crust. One batch makes a double pie crust. So I did the sensible thing when we got home from the party and made a tart cherry galette and a peach galette. Sensible might not be the right word.
 I am justifying at least the cherry galette after hearing a story on NPR this week about cherries as an anti-inflammatory for joint pain. In reality, I am just helping to heal myself after that car accident badness a few weeks ago. I am sure this will reduce the amount of physical therapy for me in the coming weeks.
 Okay. So maybe it won't. But at least it tastes good.
 Oh and I think this is my favorite pie crust recipe. It comes from King Arthur Flour and I have never had a problem with it. My go-to pie dough recipe. Try it. It's as easy as pie.
Peach Galette. Also a
 delightful way to get fat.

Crust
2 1/2 c flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/3 c shortening
1/2 c cold unsalted butter
1/2 c ice water

Combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening into pea-sized lumps. Cut in butter until you have small flakes (I think the original recipe says flakes the size of a finger nail.) Add water, two tablespoons at a time, mixing with a fork. When dough begins to hold together, transfer to a  piece of wax or parchment paper. Sprinkle any dry spots with water. Fold dough 3-4 times to bring together. Divide in half and form 2 round disks. Roll the edges of the disks until smooth to prevent cracking when rolling out dough later. Wrap disks and refrigerate until ready to use.

Cherries
2 c tart cherries
1/2 c sugar
1-2 tsp cinnamon
1-2 TBS cornstarch

Bring all ingredients to a boil. Stir, cooking on low until cherry juices have thickened. Remove from heat.

Galette
Roll out one of the disks of dough. Place in pie pan and trim edges. Pour cherries into crust. Bring down the edges of the crust, folding over on itself every inch or two. Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until crust has browned. Cool and enjoy!

1 comment: