Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Beth's Whole Wheat Bread

As I said in our family newsletter, I have been making bread a lot lately, and I really like Beth's recipe, I just have to find a way to get more honey for cheap -- still trying to work out a bartering system with Jared... we'll see ;-) Since I am heading to SLC, and getting my some help with my computer, I figure a loaf of bread is good payment, right? So, here is the recipe I got from Beth last year:


Whole Wheat Bread

2 packages active dry yeast
2 1/4 cups warm water
3 Tbs sugar
1/3 C margarine
1/3 C honey
1/2 C instant nonfat dry milk powder
1 Tbs salt
4 1/2 whole wheat flour
2 3/4 - 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour

In large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add sugar, margarine, honey, milk powder, salt and whole wheat flour; beat until smooth. Add enough all purpose flour to form a soft dough.Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. 

Punch dough down. Shape dough into traditional loaves or divide into fourths and roll each portion intoa 15 inch rope. Twist two ropes together. Place in greased 9x5 in. loaf pans Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 m inutes. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
****Some things I do differently are: I do not end up adding all of the all purpose flour. It seems to be good enough at 2 1/4 cups****
 ****Also because I am trying to be good about studying, not cooking, I use my kitchen aid, and cut the kneading time in half is what it turns out to be about 5 min from when I start adding flower, to when I am done mixing it.****

No comments:

Post a Comment