Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Asian Quinoa Salad

Ok, so I know it looks like all I do is make desserts based on my recent track record of posts, but in reality, I generally am a pretty healthy eater. My roommate and I sign up for Bountiful Baskets each week, and by the end of the week, we are somehow out of all the fruits and vegetables we got at the beginning of the week. Anyway, a few weeks ago, someone gave us 4 cucumbers. Add that to the 3 we already had, and that felt like a lot of cucumbers. I don't really like cucumbers, so I was trying to find a recipe to use them, without making them the feature flavor. I ran across this recipe and decided to try it. It was perfect. The dressing hid the cucumbers well, and there were so many good vegetables in it. The flavors came together just right. This is definitely a keeper. Slightly adapted from twopeasandtheirpod.com.

1 1/2 cup quinoa
3 cups water
2 cup chopped red cabbage
1 cup shelled and cooked edamame
1 red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup shredded carrots
1 cup diced cucumber
For the dressing:
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons chopped green onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon grated ginger
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Salt and black pepper, to taste
Combine water and quinoa  in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and place a lid on pan. Let cook for about 15-20 minutes, or until water has been absorbed. Turn off heat, remove lid, and fluff up quinoa with a fork.
Add quinoa to the remainder of the salad ingredients. Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Pour over salad. May serve immediately or refrigerate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment