Monday, June 30, 2014

Pizza Dough & Sauce

This is my 'go to' recipe for thin crust pizza.... I had not made it for almost a year, but a friend invited me up Sat night -- her and her sister were making gluten free pizza, I asked if I could bring my own dough. As it turned out there were about six of us ... and it was amazing ;) Suzanne & I put peaches, tomatoes, fresh basil, prosciutto & parm on our pizza...)

Dough
1 C, 2 T Water
1 pkg (scant 1 T) Yeast
1/2 t salt (maybe a little more)
2 T Sugar
2 T Oil
3 C Flour

Start with warm water & yeast dissolving in bowl for about 5 minutes. Then mix till all ingredients are well incorporated.

If I am planning in advance, I'll actually make this the night before, and let it rise slowly in the bowl covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator. Otherwise, allow a couple hours to rise on the counter. the dough should be soft, and thin...

Preheat oven with pizza stone inside to 400. Once preheated, take stone out of oven,  pull off whatever size you want for your pizza and roll out thin on lightly floured countertop. Place on (flour or cornmeal) on stone. Decorate pizza as desired & bake 7-12 min. (The dough starts to cook as soon as it is placed on the the stone.)

 Sauce:
1 can tomato paste
2 cans tomato sauce
Small drop of balsamic vinegar
1 T oregano
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 dash of basil
bit of sugar
some onion salt

I know this is kind of generic, but it's all about finding the flavor balance... taste it, it is not popping with flavor, add a little salt, if it tastes to salty, add a dash of sugar..



No comments:

Post a Comment