Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Bigger than Chocolate Meringue pie

So I am doing a little catch up, and this was from about a week after thanksgiving. I still had the whole milk, so I made the following. It is basically a Chocolate Meringue pie, that I put in a pie 9 x 13 pan. 

Here is the recipe with what I did, but also thoughts on what I would change (in italics):

My cute new roommate, Jessie
Pie Crust: 
3 c flour
1 t salt 
1 c shortening
ice cold water

*do not use all of pie crust, just line the sides and bottom of pan, be sure to put fork holes in the crust * Bake until golden brown at a temp of 375 (for about) 
*This time, because I had it, I used the butter flavored shortening which gave the crust a little different flavor, that I kind of liked*


Chocolate Pudding 
4 c whole milk
1 C sugar
2/3 C + 2 T cocoa powder
8 t cornstarch  (I want to go down to at least 6 t next time) 
6 large egg yolks  (Save your egg whites for the meringue) 
3 t vanilla extract (increase to 5) 
2 t almond extract (leave out) 
½ t salt (bump up to ¾ t) 
Put 3 cups of the milk, the sugar, and the cocoa in a nonreactive saucepan. Bring to a simmer, over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1-cup of the milk, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, and vanilla in a bowl. (I used the kitchen aid.) Gradually whisk the hot milk into the egg mixture. Return to the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat whisking constantly, until the pudding comes to a full boil. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and continue whisking until thick, about 2 or 3 minutes more. Cover with saran wrap.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/chocolate-pudding-recipe/index.html


Meringue

Beat 6 egg whites and ¾ teaspoon cream of tartar at high speed of mixer until foamy. Slowly add remaining 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes).

Pour pudding into cooled baked pie crust. Spoon meringue onto pudding and carefully spread making sure to completely cover pudding and edge of crust. Bake for about 25 minutes at 325 or until lightly golden brown.
http://www.food.com/recipe/chocolate-meringue-pie-119236





No comments:

Post a Comment